Saturday, June 1, 2019

Ribs and Pulled Pork on the 18.5" WSM In The Rain



A little bit of rain won't stop the smoking!! Moved the 18.5" WSM under the umbrella.
Pork Butt on the middle grate, ribs on the upper grate. On the smoker at 6:40 AM. Doing 3-2-0.5 today for the ribs. The butt is cut in half (as I usually do) to speed up the cook for pulled pork.
Temp is monitored with two ThermoWorks Smoke units. Two probes in each half of the butt and one in one slab of the ribs (yeah, no need, but I like watching the temp anyway!)
Hoping for ribs for lunch and pulled pork for whenever it's done!
____________________________

After just 1 hour and 20 minutes, you can see how much the ribs have already started to shrink!  Compare this image below with the image above.



_____________________________

The finished ribs below... These finished up a lot faster than I thought they would.  I ended up doing 2.5 hour and then 1.5 hours sauced and wrapped.  I did not bother with tightening them up again back on the grate.  They turned out great for St Louis Ribs with its rib tips.  Still, my wife prefers baby back ribs since they are less fatty, but I was ok with these ribs!  Decent "pull back" on the bones too.  A bit longer and it would have been better, but I was hungry.  What can I say...

The pulled pork is still in the smoker; however, one of the halves is already well past its doneness at 208 degrees internal.  The other half is only at 197 degrees, so I thought I'd just wait and take them both out when the other hits 202 or 203 degrees.  They are both wrapped in the same foil pan, so I really can't take just one out.  No big deal.  I'm sure they will be good anyway if the ribs are any indication!!




No comments:

Post a Comment