Saturday, December 29, 2018

9 lbs of Pork Butt on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker



Started my 9 lbs of pork butt at 5 AM this morning for pulled pork! I hope to serve it by 12 noon today to some friends.

Smoking with apple wood with water in the water pan and placed in the 18.5" WSM. The rub is a combination of Kick Butt Rib Rub's Chipotle Honey and a touch of Famous Dave's and also some cayenne pepper for a bit of kick.

Pit temp averaged around 260-270 degrees. I will cook them until they are around 202 degrees. I cut the butts in half as I usually do for more bark and for a faster cook time. I've done it this way so often now that I'm confident it will pull nicely and cook quicker. My wife took one piece of the two cut pork butts to use to make some potstickers, which left me with 3 pieces. Since the total weight of the two butts were 12 lbs, I estimate I still have around 9 lbs for smoking.

The photo is of the pork just before wrapping at 3 hours and 45 mins into the cook. A bit of apple juice was placed into disposable aluminum pans and covered with aluminum foil covers. The pieces each registered around 157 degrees. I sprayed apple juice on the meat every hour.
_____________________________

The first pork came out after 5 hours and hit 203 degrees internal.  Pulled really easily.  The other two finished an hour later in 6 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment