Friday, December 21, 2018

Turkey Jook - Rice Congee





Yesterday I cooked a 24 lb turkey.  Today, I made Turkey Jook!  Jook is also known as rice congee... but I've always known it as jook!

I took the turkey bones and pieces of turkey and a small amount of rice with a large amount of water and put it in a pressure cooker.  I let it run on high heat until the pressure was built up and then turned off the fire from the stove.  After slowly sitting in the pot until the pressure released naturally from the vent, I did it once again.  After perhaps a total of 40 minutes or so of cook time, it was done.

Seasoning included a small amount of salt, pepper, soy sauce and chicken bouillon.  I added a touch of sesame oil into the bowl just before serving.  It was great!  The only thing missing was a Century Egg (aka: 100 year old egg).  These are the eggs they served contestants on the TV Show "Fear Factor"!  They are preserved duck eggs.  Powerful, but if you are used to it like I am, they are also quite tasty in jook!


No comments:

Post a Comment