Sunday, March 24, 2019

Cast Iron Popcorn - Orville Redenbacher




I decided to make some popcorn in my Lodge cast iron dutch oven.  I used Orville Redenbacher's classic popcorn.  I poured in some oil, heated up the iron and poured I the popcorn.

Disappointed.

Only half of the corn popped.  Perhaps I took it out too soon?  Well, I was worried that I could burn the popcorn with the cast iron, so after the kernels stopped popping a while, I decided it was done.  It wasn't.

I took out the popcorn and ate what I had and it just tasted stale.  I put the other half that did not pop back in the dutch oven after adding a bit more oil.  While they all popped this time, some of them were burnt.

I don't think cast iron is the way to go for popcorn.  Perhaps a regular teflon coated pan is better.

My wife tried air popping the corn.  After seeing it fly all over the kitchen, I don't think she was happy with her popcorn either.

I think we are headed back to microwave popcorn.  It's just easier to deal with!

No comments:

Post a Comment