Friday, March 22, 2019

Chinese Char Siu Pork



Chinese roast pork is called Char Siu.  It is very easy to make if you have some pre-mixed Char Siu mix!  I use the one depicted here by NOH of Hawaii.  I don't add water as they suggest though... I use Kikkoman soy sauce instead.  I also add in some dark brown sugar.

Char Siu is typically pork butt (shoulder) that is cut in strips (or use Country Ribs which is essentially pork butt that has been sliced already) and then marinaded in this powder mix and soy sauce and brown sugar mix for at least 2 or 3 hours and refrigerated.  Then, just put the pork in a pan and bake it in the oven at 400 degrees until the internal temperature of the meat hits around 190 - 195 degrees.  A lot of water and juice will be collected in the pan, so be careful moving it.

Making Char Siu is so easy to do, you'll wonder why you haven't tried doing it sooner!

The mix is inexpensive too... perhaps $2 to $3 per packet.  At Asian markets, it probably around $2.  If you can't find it, Amazon sellers have them as well.  I recall buying these packets for only $0.89 way back when... but those days are gone, I guess!


No comments:

Post a Comment