Monday, January 25, 2021

Homemade Chicken Tamales

 








My wife wanted chicken tamales, so we decided to make them!  This is our first attempt and we followed the recipe on this video: https://youtu.be/XFwHkwUddZQ 

My wife does not like certain ingredients, so we took out most of everything on the recipe!  We removed the jalapeño peppers, the onions, the cilantro, and the garlic.  So what's left?!

Well, we kept the tomatillos with cumin.  Yeah, that's about it.  Ok, my wife added some salt in there as well.  And she added some sugar and some baking soda to counteract the acidic taste of the tomatillos.  But believe it or not, it still wasn't too bad!  Oh... yeah we took out the lard in the recipe for the masa too.  I substituted a cup of canola oil instead.  Going forward, my wife wants me to skip the oil and just add more chicken stock.  Not sure how that would turn out, but I'm willing to give that a try one day.

Steamed in my double decker steamer for one hour.  I added water a couple of times just to be sure it did not run out, but the steamer has a large section for the water so it was always in good shape.

Even though so much was removed, overall, the tamales were still very good!  It was not hard at all to make really.  Worth trying if you are in the mood for some modified Mexican tamales.  Or, make it the way the recipe says if you are ok with those ingredients.  Overall, the masa made the taste authentic as well as having the cumin in the sauce.  

The tamales are way too thick with the Masa.  It should be spread with a thin amount of Masa.  I did not realize this.  Also, the masa needs to be more wet compared to how I mixed it.  I'll know better for next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment