Thursday, June 15, 2017

Baby Back Ribs on the Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 Inch Smoker




Today was Baby Back Ribs day on the Weber Smokey Mountain!

I used the 22.5 inch smoker this time to do three full racks of ribs on the top grate.  With the 18.5 inch smoker, I could only put one full rack and the others would need to be cut up to fit.  The 22.5 inch smoker could probably even handle four racks if you put the racks right next to each other.  Since there are two grates, a top and bottom, you could probably do eight racks!

I used yellow mustard as a binder for the Pork Barrel BBQ "All American Seasoning & Rub" and smoked the ribs with Cherry wood.  The ribs were done in the 3-2-1 method, but I only did 1/2 hour for the final phase.  Three hours on the grate uncovered, two hours in an aluminum tray that was topped with aluminum foil and a half hour directly back on the grate again uncovered.  Sweet Baby Ray's sauce was added during the 2 hour phase along with apple juice for moisture and the sauce was re-applied again for the 1/2 hour phase.

The internal temperature of the ribs stalled at around 157 degrees, but when it finally ended at the end of phase two, it had hit 191 degrees.

The ribs turned out great!  Had I done the full hour for the final phase, the ribs probably would have firmed up more, but these ribs were still very good.  I guess I'm getting the hang of smoking now!

Temperature of the pit started out very low at around 210 degrees.  I was surprised at that, but I think it was because I did not let the smoker come up to full temperature before adding the ribs.  Halfway through the cook, I found that I had to add additional Kingsford Original charcoal.  I'm still trying to figure out the exact amount needed for the 22.5 inch smoker!

Overall, these were perhaps the best ribs I have made that were not made using my fishing partner's secret recipe.  These were "standard" barbecue ribs... something we are all used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment