Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Seven Pound Pork Butt on the Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 inch Smoker




Smoking up a pork butt! Just put it on. Yellow Mustard for a binder and rubbed with Costco's Flavor Connections rub. The wood is hickory. Smoking on the 18.5 WSM today.
I'm monitoring it with a ThermoWorks Smoke remote monitor unit. I am maintaining 265 - 275 degrees. I'll wrap it when it hits the stall and then go until it hits around 203 degrees internal. The main unit is sitting in that box on the ground. I put the main unit in a ziplock bag and put the entire thing in the box. This way, it's shielded a little from the direct sun and if it ever rains, it has a little bit of protection from the rain as well. (It won't rain today!)

After the first hour of cooking, I'll spritz the butt with apple juice every half hour.

Three hours into the cook:


Four hours into the cook:


Four and a half hours into the cook and I've injected the pork butt with apple juice and poured some extra juice into an aluminum pan and wrapped the pan with foil.  Internal temperature is at 155 degrees and stalled.  The butt will remain in the foil pan until the internal temperature reaches 203 degrees.  At that point, the butt will be done!  I had to add more charcoal to the smoker to keep the pit temperature going.  It had dropped to 220 degrees and I really want to stay within 250 to 275 degrees if possible.  Even ten minutes after adding the additional charcoal, the pit temp has already risen to 250 degrees.


I had to leave to go to work, so I pulled the butt at 195 degrees.  Still turned out great!  The photo is lousy since I was rushed to leave, but the end result was very good.



No comments:

Post a Comment