Thursday, June 29, 2017

Pulled Pork - Smoked On The 22.5 Inch Weber Smokey Mountain




I purchased two pork butts this morning to smoke and turn into pulled pork.  Total weight of the two was about 11 lbs.

To try to speed up the cook time, I decided to cut the two pork butts in half to make them half as thick.  Typically, 11 lbs of pork would take at least 11 hours or more to cook, but I had hoped that I could finish in 8 hours instead.

The pork stalled early at 156 about two hours into the cook.  It sat at that temperature for a while, so I decided it was time to put the meat into an aluminum pan and add some apple juice to it and cover it with aluminum foil.

The temperature of the pork stayed at 156 for a couple of hours and then ended up rising to 177 degrees.  The temperature of the smoker was consistently at 225 degrees for most of the cook.  Interestingly, the pork stalled again at 177 degrees and just stayed there.  It never did break 177 even after 8 hours and having added both additional charcoal and also water to the water pan.

After 8 hours of time, I gave up and decided to call it quits.  While the meat was cooked, pulling it apart was a little more difficult than it could have been had it reached at least 195 degrees.

By the way, I got to try out my new "bear claws" that I purchased on Amazon.  It worked really nice! I could only imagine how it could have done if the pork were more tender at 195 degrees.  Next time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment