Saturday, March 24, 2018

IHOP - Big Steak Omelette - 1260 Calories




My wife and I went to IHOP in Rosemont, IL for dinner on Friday. We both had the Big Steak Omelette with Hash Browns. Calories for the omelette was 1260 calories. The hash browns added another 320 calories. That totals 1580 calories which is my total allowed calorie intake for the day!
We went there before going to see the Chinese dance show called "Shen Yun" at the Rosemont Theater. Wow! What a show! If you have not seen it, I highly encourage you to go! Our daughter bought tickets for us as a gift. We had great seats too!
Anyway, the restaurant was decided on since it was close by and we figured it wouldn't cost much. We were right! We both qualified for the "Senior" perks deal of buy 1 meal and get 1 free (with purchase of 2 drinks). Total cost with tax was around $16.50 including tax. Tip of course was extra, but we gave our waitress a nice tip (we always do if they do a good job). She was fantastic and very friendly!
The omelette was actually very good. I'd do it again (if it weren't for the high calories)! Besides the side of hash browns, there are hash browns inside the omelette as well. That's probably why the calorie count is so high! I had a Diet Pepsi, my wife had a lemonade.
I have done senior meals in the past, but they usually just lower the portions and lower the price. With this deal, you can pick anything on their regular menu and still get the senior discount. You just need to get there and order between 3 and 6 PM.
The lesson here is that just a single meal with what many might think is a more "healthy" option over something like a greasy burger, can still have a lot of calories! If I ate like this every day and also ate two other meals a day, there's no doubt I would gain weight. Choosing the correct things to eat that have lower calories and modifying your food choices is the key to success.
Today, my typical meal will add up to 500-600 calories max. This will keep me under 1800 calories per day. At this caloric intake, I'll lose weight. Above it, I risk gaining weight. It's been estimated that the average male over 51 years old needs around 2000 calories. Go over that and you'll likely gain weight. Stay under it and you'll likely lose. Women over 50 need 1600 calories. Active women over 50 need 1800 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment