Wednesday, July 25, 2018

13.94 lbs of Pork Shoulder on the 22.5" WSM - AND a Coho Salmon!






13.94 lbs of Swift Premium Boneless Pork Shoulder from Costco (cut in half for faster cook time) on the 22.5" WSM. Rubbed with Costco's Flavor Connection rub modified with some cayenne pepper and Hickory wood for smoke. Pit Temp is hovering around 229 degrees. I will wrap at the stall and go to +/- 203 degrees internal temp.
My last smoke, I had problems with my temperature probe for the meat and so I put in a new probe to finish the cook. I ordered another replacement probe as a standby (good thing I had an extra last time) and also ordered a silicone "stand" for the remote on my ThermoWorks Smoke system. Just came in today, just in time for the cook! Nice! Now I don't need to lay the remote on its side to read it.
What I like about ThermoWorks is that they always include a small package of Jelly Belly jelly beans for you! Small things make my day!
_____________________________

1 hour, 15 mins into the cook:




_____________________________

2 hour, 15 mins into the cook and stalled at 155 degrees.




_____________________________

3 hours into the cook the pork is still stalled and actually went down to 151 degrees.  The pit temp was raised to 234 degrees.



_____________________________

4 hours, into the cook, I decided to wrap by putting the meat into aluminum pans and covering with aluminum foil.  The meat has been stalling for well over 2 hours now, so I figured I'd power through the stall by wrapping.  The pit temp has increased as well to 254 degrees.  Internal temp is currently at 151 degrees as checked on another piece of the meat.  I moved the middle grate meat to the top and the top to the middle during the wrap.
_____________________________

4.25 hours into the cook, I decided to smoke some coho salmon as well!  Since the pork is wrapped and "isolated" from the fish, it should not mix in flavor.  I stacked the two aluminum pans together in the middle rack and put the fish on the top rack.  I'll smoke this until the fish has an internal temp of 145 degrees.


_____________________________


The fish cooked really quickly and tasted great!



_____________________________

6 hours - The pork is still in the smoker!  I believe it is going through a second stall at 186.5 degrees. I had to add more charcoal to the pit as well.  The pit temp is now at 235 degrees.


At 6.5 hours, I took out the meat in the middle grate.  The internal temperature had risen to 207 degrees.  A temperature probe went into the meat like butter!  VERY SOFT!  I'm waiting for it to sit for a while before attempting to pull the pork.  The top grate meat has been moved to the middle grate.  Internal temperature for that is only at 189.2 degrees.


_____________________________

Half of the finished product. Zero effort to pull! Perhaps the softest I've ever smoked. Really nice smoke ring too! The other half is still in the smoker going on 7.25 hours.



I pulled out the second batch which really only reached 189.2 degrees after 8 hours. Just didn't have enough time to wait any longer. Soft, but did not pull as easily as the first batch. Still ok though, but the first batch was way better!

No comments:

Post a Comment