Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Moo and Oink Rib Tips on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker




These rib tips were $1.29 per pound.  They are a lot larger than I thought they would be!  I've never smoked rib tips before, but I'm thinking these should be done the same way regular spare ribs are done with the 2-2-1 method.  But I'll change that up and only do 0.5 hours for the final phase of the cook.

I'm thawing them out today and will smoke them on Friday, July 6  There are four slabs in the box.

____________________________________

It's now Friday and the cook is on!  I put Costco's Flavor Connections rub on the four slabs of ribs tips and cut them so that they would fit the 18.5" WSM smoker. The rub was modified by adding cayenne pepper and also ground down to a powder.  I'm cooking with Apple wood for the smoke.  The pit temp is hovering at 280 degrees.  I'll try to drop that temp to under 270 though.




________________________________________

After two hours, I decided to wrap the meat by putting it the pieces in an aluminum pan and covering with foil.  I also added Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and some plain water in the pan.  I'll let it go two more hours.  Here's how they looked before saucing and foiling:



__________________________________________

The finished product: 2 hours unwrapped, 2.5 hours wrapped, 0.5 hours unwrapped.  Tasted great!  I cut them into cubes.




No comments:

Post a Comment