Saturday, July 21, 2018

Smoked Lake Trout on the 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain





Today's smoke on the 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain... fillet of Lake Trout caught in Lake Michigan on my charter with WindyCitySalmon!
265 degree pit temp, fish coated with Old Bay Seasoning and hickory wood for the smoke. I will continue smoking the fish until it hits an internal temperature of 145 degrees.



The finished product!  The pre-cooked photos always look better since they have a fresh coating of rub on the meat.  The finished fish has oils that rise to the top causing the white sections you see in the photo.  But the fish tasted amazing!  Perhaps the best fish I have made yet!  Plenty of smoke flavor to it and the Old Bay Seasoning really enhances the taste with its celery salt.

Edit Note: I was told by another "smoking" chef that if I had smoked the fish at a lower temperature (around 175 degrees instead), it will have less chance of pulling the proteins / oils out of the fish and making it have less white sections. I will give that a try next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment