Sunday, July 28, 2019

Fire & Wine - Glen Ellyn, IL





My daughter and son-in-law treated my wife and me to a dinner at Fire & Wine in Glen Ellyn, IL on Sunday.

My daughter ordered the Rigatoni Bolognese, my son-in-law had the Beef Medallions, my wife had the Summer Chopped Salad and I ordered the Barbecue Chicken and Pancetta Oven-Fired Pizza.

The beef medallions looked really good... but I'd have to reserved the taste to my son-in-law.  He said they were good, however.  The Rigatoni Bolognese looked good too but to me, didn't seem to be enough.  Still, my daughter took half of it home.  My wife's salad looked sparse to me.  While there was what appeared to be a chicken breast there, for the price, they could have made the salad with more lettuce!  Really, how much does lettuce cost?  If I were the owner of the restaurant, I'd pump that thing up a bit so at least you feel you got enough salad.  My wife said she didn't really like the dressing either.  That's too bad.

My pizza was good though.  The crust was thin and it did seem a bit oily on the bottom near the center, but it did taste good.  The BBQ sauce was a bit too sweet though, but the pancetta was good and the chicken was good too (short of the sweetness of the sauce).  The cheese was not the shredded variety, but appeared to have been sliced and placed on the pizza.  The outer crust was crunchy and my wife ate several sections of that.

Overall, I felt the restaurant was ok.  The waiter was very attentive.  Being more upscale in pricing for the dishes, I thought the only real miss was the salad.  Oh, my daughter also ordered some fried zucchini for my wife as an appetizer, but the breading  on it was a bit greasy making it soggy.  Again, portions was small for the price.  The ranch dressing was good though on that.

Still, it was a good time getting together with my daughter and son-in-law and I appreciate their generosity for picking up the tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment