Friday, April 17, 2020

Fried Rice During The Shelter In Place Order From The Governor






It seems Fried Rice has been our staple since the order from the Governor to shelter in place.  Almost every other day, I've been making it for lunch.

For the first several batches, I had been using rice that was made on the same day and so it tended to be too sticky.  I learned that making the rice a couple of hours in advance and using less water than I usually do worked better.

I cooked up about 4 scrambled eggs and just before it totally firms up, I tossed in the rice. After several hours of just sitting around in the rice cooker, the rice was cooled down and hardened up enough to use. 

I tossed the rice in with the eggs and cooked it up until the rice seemed to be a bit drier than it was when it was in the egg slurry.  I then added soy sauce, salt (not too much), chicken bullion powder (small amount) and kept cooking the rice until it was drier again. I also added a small amount of white ground pepper.  I tossed in char siu pork (already precooked and cut up) and tossed in mixed frozen vegetables. When it was almost all done, I put in just a few drops of sesame oil. A few drops goes a long way with sesame oil. You just want a HINT of the flavor here. Doing sesame oil too early isn't good. Under heat, you lose its flavor. That's the one ingredient that has to be at the last moment.

My wife said I'm getting better at making fried rice.  I guess doing it over and over pays off!  By the way, I've enjoyed using my small 14" wok lately.  Having a removable ring made specifically for the Samsung stove is really handy!  Still, I prefer cooking outside on the big propane burner with my huge 22" wok, but it's been too cold outside lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment