Friday, July 3, 2020

Japanese Curry Chicken with Rice, Potatoes and Edamame





This is perhaps one of my absolute favorite dishes to make because it tastes great and is SO EASY to make!  Japanese Curry with rice, potatoes and edamame (usually we put peas though).

This is the first time using MILD for the curry.  I usually use Spicy or Extra Spicy, but my wife is getting more sensitive to spicy foods, so we decided to try out the mild.  Still very good!  If you have a spice sensitivity but would like to try this type of Japanese curry, try the mild.

I like this brand of curry... S&B Golden Curry.  Very flavorful and easy to use.  It comes in two packages that break into four cubes each.  Here's how you use it to make this dish.

Cut up chicken leg quarters and/or chicken breasts.  Put the chicken in a big pot and fill perhaps 1/4 of the pot with water.  Add a bit of salt and just put the pot on the stove and cook the chicken for perhaps 45 minutes in the pot.  I add cut up potatoes just about 15 minutes before the chicken is done.  Do not add the edamame (or peas) until later.  Stir every now and then to rotate the chicken pieces in the pot.

After 45 minutes, I take the pot outside to finish the cook.  My wife feels that it doesn't smell up the entire house of curry if you add the curry outside!  I use a portable butane burner that you can get at most Asian stores for less than $20 and put the pot on that.  I add in the two packages of curry pieces and bring it back to a boil.  The sauce will thicken up when the curry cubes have melted.  I stir constantly.  At this time, I add in either edamame or frozen peas.  After another 5-10 minutes, the dish is done!  Serve over white rice and be sure to spoon in plenty of the sauce!

Give it a try!  I think you will like it.  Be sure to buy the S&B Golden Curry brand.  Typically at Asian markets, the curry package of two is about $3.95.  You can get it on Amazon as well, but they sell it for a LOT more money there.  Try finding it at a local Asian market near you.

By the way, the chicken leg quarters were on sale for $2.90 for 10 lbs at my local grocery store, so the curry package cost more than the 10 lbs of chicken!  Add in the cost of 1/2 package of frozen edamame and some rice, the total for 10 lbs of chicken that will last for days was under $9.00.  Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment