Saturday, July 4, 2020

Pressure Cooker Explosion - Fagor Pressure Cooker




My wife was cooking some red bean soup in our Fagor Pressure Cooker.  15-20 minutes after the cooker came to pressure, it exploded!

Luckily, neither of us were in the kitchen, but we heard this huge explosion.  After checking out the damage, we found the pressure cooker had punched a hole in the kitchen wall near the baseboard and put a slight dent in the stainless steel headboard panel of the stove!

Inspecting the pressure cooker, the front assist handle of the pressure cooker had broken, but the pressure cooker was still intact!  The locking mechanism was still locked and the lid did not fall off.

So how did this thing explode?  I'm still wondering that.  If it weren't for the broken front assist handle probably breaking off when the pressure cooker hit the floor or the wall, you would never know that the pressure cooker had exploded!

We won't be using this pressure cooker any longer (although we could just use it as a cooking pot and skip the cover), but it makes me wonder if this could also happen when using our Instant Pot.  I think it most likely can.

Yes, pressure cookers are dangerous.  We were just lucky we were not in the kitchen when it happened.  Even being careful with pressure cookers, they can still explode!
_________________________

October 1, 2020: Update - Time for repair!  I cut a hole in the wall using a utility knife approximately 4.5" x 4.5" and got some scrap drywall compliments of Home Depot.  Using a wooden paint stirring stick as a backing for the new drywall piece, I used wood screws to secure it to the wall.  The replacement drywall piece was installed and I found that I had cut the hole a bit too large leaving a gap on the upper section.  I will likely just fill it with spackle and call it a day.

I'll tape the open sections and use dry wall spackle to fill in the gaps and then sand it and paint it.

Relatively easy to do, but it still took me months to get to it.  :)













No comments:

Post a Comment