Friday, August 11, 2017

St Louis Ribs - 2-2-0.5 on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker



I smoked one full rack of St. Louis ribs on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain smoker.  I did not add any wood for the smoke, but rather just kept it as a Kingston Charcoal smoke instead.  The ribs were sprinkled with a modified Pork Barrel BBQ All American Seasoning & Rub that contained more salt and paprika.

I ran the smoker at 260 degrees for most of the cook.  I put water in the water pan.  The ribs stayed on the grate for 2 hours and then I transferred them to an aluminum pan and covered it with aluminum foil.  I put on Sweet Baby Rays Original barbecue sauce on them.  It stayed in the pan another 2 hours until the internal temperature of the ribs hit 190 degrees.  I them move the ribs back onto the grate for another 15 minutes.

The ribs were very tender but had a decent bite to them as well.  Very good St. Louis ribs this time!  My wife does not prefer St Louis ribs as it is a bit more fatty than baby back ribs.  To her, it's worth the extra $1 per pound for the baby backs.  But St. Louis ribs have more meat (along with fat) in my opinion, which means there is more meat than bone in comparison.  Still, she feels the baby backs are better.  Regardless, as far as cooking, these ribs were done very well.

The top photo was taken after the first hour of cooking.  The second photo was taken just as the ribs were returned to the grate after being in an aluminum pan for 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment