Sunday, October 29, 2017

Six Full Racks of Baby Back Ribs on the 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain

I smoked six full racks of Baby Back Ribs today for my get together of guitar friends.

The gathering was a success as was my ribs!  I used a new rub... Rufus Teague - Meat Rub.  Not bad! Purchased a bottle of 6.5 oz at Jewel for under $5 if I'm not mistaken.  A bit expensive, but it's even more expensive on Amazon!  The rub was a lot milder than other rubs I've used in the past, but that's ok.

I put six full racks on the top and bottom grates of my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and they all fit just fine.  Because the weather was colder today (around 39 degrees at 6:30 AM), it took a lot longer for the smoker to get up to my normal grate level temp of 275 on average.  Instead, it hovered in the 220 degrees range for the longest time.

For Baby Back Ribs, I had intended to do a 2-2-0.5 smoke (2 hours on the grate, 2 hours covered and 0.5 hours back on the grate) but due to the lower temperature, I ended up doing 2.75 hours - 2 hours covered (with apple juice added in an aluminum pan) and 0.75 hours uncovered in the pan.

I used Apple Wood for the smoke.  Sweet Baby Rays sauce was applied when the ribs were covered in the aluminum pan.  Apple juice was added in the pan for moisture.

Overall, the ribs had a good smoke ring and it also had a little bit of a bite to the texture.  My guests really seemed to like them.

No photos this time since I was rather busy smoking and also doing odds and ends for the party.  But I had a lot of positive comments about the ribs and my guest took ribs home with them.  Six racks for only 10 people is a lot of ribs, but I'd rather have more than not enough.  Homemade egg rolls and potstickers were also served.

No comments:

Post a Comment