Friday, May 18, 2018

14.88 lbs of Pork Butt on the 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker







Once again, I'm smoking up some pork butt for pulled pork!  Today's cook features a total of 14.88 lbs of meat!

The middle grate has pork with Kick Butt Rib Rub -  Chipotle Honey and the top grate features  Costco's Rib Rub & Seasoning - Flavor Connections.

The initial pit temp is 256 degrees and had been adjusted to hover around 245 degrees.  The cook began at 7:40 AM.  Water is in the water pan.

____________________________________



Three hours into the cook and it's time to wrap.  I put each split pork butt into aluminum foil pans and covered each with aluminum foil.  The internal temp was 162 degrees.  The pit temp rose to 275 after opening the lid, but started going back down after it was closed again.  I left for a birthday lunch for my brother with two of my high school friends at Ram Restaurant & Brewery in Wheeling and will check on the cook when I get back.

_____________________________________

After returning from lunch and waiting a while, at 7.5 hours into the cook, the internal temp of the meat rose to 191 degrees and did a second stall.  Pit temp was at 225 degrees, so I stirred up the coals to remove the ashes and opened up the bottom vents fully to get more air to the coals.

_____________________________________


The finished product!  10 hours of cook time to finish both pork butts.  They both pulled extremely easily.  Even better than my last cook and I thought that one was good!  I think the key is to keep the cook going even if you think it is done.  I let these go a lot longer than I typically do.  But I found that the butt in the middle grate finished BEFORE the meat on the top grate which was a surprise to me since it usually goes the other way around.  I let the meat get up to 205 degrees this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment