Monday, May 28, 2018

Pork Back Ribs and 7 lbs of Pork Butt on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain



Today's smoke... back ribs on top, 7 lbs of pork butt (cut in half) in the middle on the 18.5" WSM.
Smoking with apple wood, water in the pan, 255 degrees on average in the pit. Will keep it running until the pork butt hits around 203 degrees and will wrap at the stall. The ribs will be done 2.5, 1.75, 0.25.
I'll be grilling Chicken later in the late afternoon.

___________________________________

The ribs were wrapped after 2.5 hours.  The pork was wrapped 3 hours into the cook.  The stall happened at 156 degrees.

___________________________________

Ribs were unwrapped after 1.75 hours and left on the grate for 15 minutes before considering it done.  The final product was great!  Good bite to them and a bit of a kick too.  I added some cayenne pepper to the Costco Rib Rub & Seasoning.  Decent smoke ring as well.





The pork finished in about 6 hours, but I left it in there longer so that the pork would reach a higher temperature.  By 6 hours it had reached 203 degrees internal temp.  I left it going until it was 207 degrees.

The bone pulled out quickly, easily and cleanly.  This is how much juice comes out of a 7 lb pork butt!  Very little apple juice was poured into the pan (perhaps less than 1 cup).  The rest is juice from the meat.



While the pork pulled very easily, it was a bit stringy and dry.  I think I left it in the smoker too long.  I probably should have taken it out when it hit 202 or 203 degrees.  Still ok for my use in my flatbread panini's however.

___________________________

Update:  Several days after smoking the pulled pork, I am finding that the pork is totally fine for the way I make my "diet" panini's.  While dryer than the past, after adding back in the separated (of oil) juice from the meat back into the pulled pork, it seems to help keep the meat moist enough for when I heat up the panini's.  Works just fine.  I use this Oxo separator:



No comments:

Post a Comment