Sunday, December 3, 2017

Catfish On The Grill




I've never had catfish on the grill, only fried with cornmeal.  So this time, I wanted to try grilled catfish.

I used a small quantity of "Old Bay" seasoning with the fish, but probably should have added more.  I've never used Old Bay seasoning before but just tasting a small quantity of it, I thought it would be too salty.  But it seems you need a lot more than I used to season a 3 lb catfish!

While I filleted the fish, I never throw out the bones after filleting.  There is always a lot more flesh that is stuck on those bones, so I usually cook them as well.  I used some oil on the fish so that the seasoning would adhere to the fish, but I think I used too much as the fish ended up a little too oily.  Plus, as the fish was cooking, the oil would splash down on the grill's "flavorizer" bars causing a lot of flare ups!  This forced me to keep moving the fish around so that it would not end up burning on the grate.

Because catfish's flesh is firmer than other fish, I was able to flip the fish many times without it falling to pieces.  Overall, the fish turned out just fine cooking it on the grill.  Since it's not fried, it should be a healthier way to eat catfish.  I'll do it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment