Monday, December 25, 2017

Family Hot Pot Dinner





Family members on my wife's side gathered together for a Christmas dinner at my brother-in-law's home for a "Hot Pot" feast. The night before, my family hosted a Christmas Eve dinner where I got to smoke six full racks of ribs and two fillets of salmon.

For this dinner, everyone brought ingredients to share and hot pots to use.  Some were simple deep fryers used for the hot pot and others had burners made with pots specifically designed for hot pot cooking.

I brought my portable butane stove along with my vintage Lodge #9 griddle so that I could cook up anything that we didn't want to boil in the hot pot.  To me, this is more fun than just boiling up the food.  The problem though is that it's messy.  Oil splashes all over the table, on the burner and on you!  Still, I'd rather do that than just sit and boil food.

Overall, the dinner was a hit.  We all had a great time and I had fun just cooking up wontons,  shrimp, scallops, squid, Korean bulgogi seasoned pork (I'm not Korean), pork belly slices, and other ingredients.  Always fun to gather around for a family meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment