Tuesday, December 5, 2017

New Addition To The Smoker Family - Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker - 14.5"



I figured, "Why not?"  I added the 14.5" version of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker to my other two smokers!  Now I have all three versions... 14.5", 18.5" and 22.5"

I am debating if I will upgrade the door to another Cajon Bandit door and latch, but I really would prefer to leave it if possible.  However, reports from others have said that it could leak and if it does, I'll likely upgrade it.  I will try it as is first to see.

I was able to get this "new" smoker on Facebook Marketplace for only $120.  It was used, but never "used"!  It was stored, but never cooked in.  Too hard to pass up.

____________________

Edit Update:  I "seasoned" the small smoker today.  Didn't cook anything in it, but I put in one chimney starter worth of coals.  I put in the water pan with water as well (after foiling the pan).  It ran up to 310 degrees at its highest but stayed mostly around 285 degrees.  The smoker ran for 4 hours easily at that temperature range before starting to drop in temperature.  Seasoning these smokers isn't necessary, but I do know from experience that if you don't, you can expect the first smoking will have higher temperatures than you might like.  Running it a couple of times before committing it to food will mean you have a better chance of a more stable temperature during a cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment