Saturday, June 16, 2018

Back Ribs on the 18.5" WSM



Back ribs on the 18.5" WSM. Going to do 2-1.5-0.5 this time. I'll wrap and put Sweet Baby Ray's sauce on the ribs and then finish it off with another 1/2 hour back on the grate. Pit temp is around 245 degrees. The rub is Costco's Flavor Connections modified with the addition of some Cayenne Pepper.  
I cut the ribs in half. There are three slabs in there. One rack is in the middle grate. I am using some Chinese Cha Siu sauce with hoisin sauce mix on those ribs. It will give it an Asian flare to them.

No wood this time for smoke, just straight charcoal.

______________________________

I ended up calling it done after 1.5 hours wrapped and did not do the 0.5 hours unwrapped.  Total cook time ended up at 2 hours unwrapped and 1.5 hours wrapped.  A bit salty as the rubs were put on a bit too much, but overall not too bad.  My wife and I agree that perhaps the Costco Flavor Connections rub is too course.  Perhaps throwing it into a food processor to make it a bit finer would mean not putting as much rub on which would make it less salty.  Also, for pulled pork, I like putting some rub back on the finished product to flavor the meat that was more on the inside.  Unless the Costco rub is ground up more, I don't think I can use it that way for pulled pork.


 The Chinese Version

Sweet Baby Rays

No comments:

Post a Comment