Monday, June 4, 2018

Fried Squid Rings - Calamari



I fried up 2 lbs of squid rings (Calamari) in my outdoor wok. This is perhaps the easiest thing to cook!

Flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag with squid rings tossed in and shaken. The rings are then taken out and dipped in an egg wash and then coated with Japanese Panko breading. Fry until golden brown. Fast and easy!

The cost of the 2 lbs of squid was $6. Panko was $2. Flour, salt, pepper and two eggs... maybe $0.40. Vegetable oil (don't need much)... maybe $1... total cost... $9.40. I don't think you would get 2 lbs of calamari for $10 at a restaurant!

The photo was taken after we had eaten perhaps half of the plateful, so this photo shows perhaps one pound worth of squid. Light and crunchy! As good as any restaurant, I'd say! 

I didn't eat all two pounds. My wife and daughter and I shared it.

No comments:

Post a Comment