Saturday, June 9, 2018

First Over-Night Smoke on the 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain - 17.5 lbs of Pulled Pork

I am doing my first overnight smoking with my 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain tonight!

My daughter's friend is having an engagement party and so half of the meat is for them and half is for me.  The pork butt is from Costco, so the bone is already removed.  I also removed the fat cap as I don't feel it's that important to have on pulled pork, and I cut each pork section into two.  Costco gives you two pork butts when you buy their meat.

I used the Kick Butt Rib Rub - Chipotle Honey version on the meat for the party and used the Costco Flavor Connections rub for mine.  My rub had been modified with the addition of Cayenne Pepper added to it.  Apple wood was used for the smoke.

I allowed the pit temp to rise to around 205 degrees and added the meat and then went to bed.  Three hours later, I woke up to see that the pit temp was at 225 degrees and the internal meat temp was 157 degrees.  I figured it was probably near the stall, so I went outside to put the meat in aluminum foil pans and added apple juice to each pan.  I wrapped the tops with aluminum foil.

The internal temp of the meat dropped to 153 degrees as I am typing this.  The pit temp went up to 231 degrees but seems to be dropping back into the 225 degree range.  It could be the rain that's dropping that temp but 225 degrees is usually the ideal temp for low and slow pulled pork anyway.  I should note too that the rain is a constant rain, not drizzling.

I'll have photos of the cook later.  Too difficult to take the photos in the dark and in the rain!

____________________________

The cook finished after 8-1/2 hours.  The Costco Rub with added Cayenne Pepper seemed to moister (it was on the middle grate) compared to the Kick Butt Rib Rub version, so I gave the party the Costco version.

Overall, the cook finished a lot faster than I thought it would.

Costco Version

Kick Butt Version

Costco Version - Pulled

No comments:

Post a Comment