Monday, June 25, 2018

Fried Calamari, French Fries and Smoked Lake Trout









I decided to fry up some more calamari like I did last time, but this time I added some fries too.  I also decided to smoke one fillet of the Lake Trout that was recently caught out of Lake Michigan on a charter that my students and I took a couple of weeks ago.

The 1.75 lbs of calamari was good, but I found that the panko bread crumbs were frying up a bit too fast, so some were turning a little too brown.  I also didn't let the oil heat up quite enough before putting in the fries, so the fries soaked up the oil a little too much.  Still, both were decent.

The lake trout was the real surprise.  My daughter and I both really liked it.  My wife, not so much.  She thought it still tasted a bit "fishy".  But lake trout is an oilier fish than salmon, so it's not surprising that it would be a bit "fishier" in taste.  However, to my daughter and me, we both thought it was pretty good.  I used "Old Bay" seasoning and smoked the fish at a pit temp of around 259 degrees on the small 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and kept the fish in there until the internal temp of the fish stayed at 159 degrees.

I know some people smoke fish until it's almost like jerky, but I did not want to do that.  While drier than I might typically cook a fish, I decided to pull it way before it would dry out.

To me, the fish was great.  I used pecan wood for the smoke.  I'd definitely smoke lake trout again.  Thanks to my friend Mike Planthaber for suggesting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment