Thursday, August 16, 2018

6.5 lbs Pork Butt on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain



I am smoking 6.5 lbs of Pork Butt with the Weber Smokey Mountain today.  Started at 10 AM, I am hoping that it finishes by 4 PM so I can get to work on time!  I'm using Costco's Flavor Connections Rib Rub that has been modified with the addition of some cayenne pepper.  The wood is hickory for the smoke.

I placed more charcoal in the smoker than I usually do hoping to smoke it fast and hot, but we'll see how that will affect the pulling of the pork.  But for some reason even after 15 minutes, the pit temp is still only 146 degrees.  I opened all the vents in the bottom to get more air into the smoker, so hopefully it will increase quicker.

I will update the blog as the smoking goes along...

It has been 35 minutes now and the pit temp is only at 185 degrees!  I unlatched the door of the smoker to get more air into it to raise the pit temp and it seems to be working.  I think it could be the fact that some of the charcoal is being re-used from the last smoke and that the dampness from the rain last night might have something to do with it.

After 45 minutes, the pit temp has now risen to 233 degrees.  It's about time!
____________________________

3.5 hours into the cook and I've now wrapped the meat in foil.  It had been stalling for a while at 157 degrees internal temperature.  The meat has shrunk a lot.  If you look at the photo when the cook started and look at the photo just before wrapping, you can see it.

______________________________

Four hours, 15 minutes in and the internal temperature is now at 180 degrees...

Five hours into the cook and the meat has hit the required 197 degrees internal temperature to break down the collagen for pulled pork.  I will leave the meat in the smoker until it hits an internal temp of 202 degrees.  I'll let the meat sit for a while before pulling it.

Fives hours and 20 minutes into the cook and the meat has reached 202 degrees internal temp.  I take it out of the smoker and wait for the meat to rest before pulling it.
______________________________

The finished product... the bone pulls out easily and the pork pulls easily too!








No comments:

Post a Comment