Monday, September 24, 2018

10 lbs of Pull Pork on the 18.5" WSM




10 lbs of pork butt on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain smoker with water in the water pan.  It would have been 14.4 lbs, but I needed some of the pork for other dishes.  The meat was purchased from Costco.

I split the meat in half as I usually do to get more bark and to speed up the cooking time. I used Pork Barrel BBQ's All American Rub and Apple Wood for the smoke. I let it run until it hit the stall and then wrapped it. The pit temp stayed around 235 degrees but jumped up to 270 after wrapping. When the meat hit 202 degrees I removed it from the smoker.

The pork butts finished off with a total cook time of 5 hours reaching 202 degrees on the top grate and 205 degrees on the middle grate after wrapping. Pulled easily! Very moist this time. One of the best I've done so far.


While some people like to cook the meat without wrapping or cutting so that the bark is literally charred black, I don't like it like that.  I like a nice dark brown bark, but not black.  I only had one cook that did that because I did not cut the meat which made the cook time something like 12 hours and I didn't wrap it, just to see what would happen.  I prefer this method of cooking to cut down the total cook time and to prevent the black charring.  Some would disagree with me, but hey... it's me that's eating it, not them!  Everyone has their own method... I just like this method better for time savings and for health reasons!







No comments:

Post a Comment