Saturday, February 9, 2019

Jason's Deli - Schaumburg IL












My wife, daughter and I went to Jason's Deli in Schaumburg, IL for dinner.  We had been missing Sweet Tomatoes since it closed down a couple of years ago.  It had been our favorite restaurant to go for salads and with it gone, we didn't know where else to go for a salad buffet.  Recently, my friend Andy told me that we should go to Jason's Deli since they had a option of a half sandwich and one trip salad bar, or unlimited salad bar without a sandwich.

I opted for the salad buffet, my wife did a half sandwich and one trip salad bar and my daughter ordered a custom salad with Ranch Dressing that she really liked.  We had all options covered!

We found that when you do the half sandwich and a salad bar, the bowl that they give you for the salad is smaller than the bowls that they give you when you go for the unlimited salad bar.  That's ok... it really is big enough and the half sandwich will still fill you up.  I ended up getting two huge bowls of salad and it really was more than I should have taken!  The bowls are actually plate/bowls in that they look like a plate but the middle of the plate is scooped out like a bowl.  I like these better than just a bowl or just a plate.

Overall, we all thought the food was great.  However, my wife noted that all of the salad dressings were creamy dressings and they did not have non-creamy dressings!  No Italian dressing or even French dressings.  I took Thousand Island (so typical of me) so I was ok, but she really didn't like any of the dressings since she does not like creamy dressings.  They had balsamic vinegar, but that's not a dressing.  I guess you are supposed to mix your own olive oil and vinegar, but there's nothing you can use to toss the salad and the oil/vinegar mix.

I went back to the restaurant a couple of days later and talked to one of the ladies there that was working the salad area.  She wasn't sure if there were any other dressings so she went to seek out a manager.  The manager came out to talk to me.  He brought out a couple of other dressings in a bottle, but didn't have anything else in terms of Italian dressings.  At least he made the effort to show me some other options.  I joked that perhaps my wife could just bring her own dressings.  He said that would be perfectly fine if she wanted to do that.  Jason's Deli has all the toppings... so I guess this could work.  Of course, that would just make the cost of the salad a bit more since you would be bringing your own dressing, but it's an option.

I think I might try the half sandwich and one trip salad bar one day.  I think that might be the better value and you still end up with a decent size salad from it.

Here are two bottles of other dressings that the manager brought out to show me:


_______________________________

2-19-19: My friend Steve took me to Jason's Deli again, so here's the salad I ate that day:

____________________________

2-26-19 Lunch with my brother and sister in-law:


03-11-19 Lunch with my daughter:


No comments:

Post a Comment