Thursday, October 18, 2018

12.5 lbs Pork Butt on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker





It's been a while since I smoked anything, so here we go again! 12.5 lbs of pork butt on the 18.5" WSM smoker! There are two butts in the smoker... one on the middle grate and one on the top grate (totals 12.5 lbs). Both butts have been cut in half for more bark and to speed up the cook time. Neither have bone in them (Costco removes the bone, so you don't pay for the weight of the bone!)
Pit temp is around 259 degrees and will run until the meat stalls. I'll put each in an aluminum foil pan and cover it tight with aluminum foil. The meat will go until it hits around 203 degrees internal temperature. I am monitoring the temps with a ThermoWorks Smoke thermometer.
It's cold outside today, but that's never an issue. Very little wind, so that's good!  I am smoking with pecan wood chunks today.  The rub is Pork Barrel BBQ's rub along with Costco's Flavor Connections Rub and some cayenne pepper mixed in with it.  
________________________________

I decided to wrap after 4 hours at 154 degrees internal. The meat had stalled way earlier than that but I decided to give it better bark so I left it unwrapped longer. It is now in the pans waiting to rise in temp to the final 203 degrees.  The pit temp remained at around 243 degrees.
________________________________

The top grate meat finished up about 10 minutes before the middle grate.  I took it out at 203 degrees.  Total cook time was 6 hours.  It is interesting that the shape of both top and bottom grate meats look very similar (check out the photos below).

I would have to say that this cook was the easiest cook I've ever had.  Setup was fast, cleanup was fast, cook time was fast, I didn't have to go back and forth adjusting the vents (other than during the first 1/2 hour, perhaps)... couldn't have asked for a better cook!  Pulled very easily.







No comments:

Post a Comment