Thursday, January 10, 2019

9.25 lbs Pork Butt on the 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker



The pork is on! Using the little 14.5" WSM today to make some pulled pork. It's been a while since I used the small smoker.
The middle and upper grates have pork on it. I cut the 9.25 pork butt in half as I normally do, but kept it thick this time. Will likely take longer than I usually take since I cut it to keep it thicker.
Outside temp is currently 23 degrees. Very little wind. Pit temp is starting out around 230 but I hope to raise it to around 250 to 275 degree range. I am monitoring the pit and both pork pieces as well as the outside temp with two ThermoWorks Smoke units.
Water in the pan, but no wood... just charcoal cooking this time. The rub is Kick Butt Rib Rub's Chipotle Honey mixed with some cayenne pepper for more kick!

3 hours into the cook, I decided to loosely put a welder's blanket around the smoker.
_____________________________



6.5 hours into the cook (see photo above) and the internal temperature of the meat is only at 154 degrees.  I decided to put the meat into aluminum foil pans and loosely wrap the tops with foil.  I added more water to the water pan and also replenished the charcoal as it was almost all burned out.  I'm pushing the pit temp to around 280 degrees now.
_____________________________

I had to replenish the charcoal twice during this cook.  Total time to reach 200 degrees was 10 hours. If you leave the meat thick, it's going to take a while.  Cut it thinner and you can cut the cook time down to around 6-7 hours on average.

The final products are below.  Great Bark!



No comments:

Post a Comment