Monday, January 7, 2019

Sushi Lunch at Kura Revolving Sushi Bar - Schaumburg, IL










Click here to see a quick 5 second video of the delivery of a special order dish!








My daughter took me to Kura Revolving Sushi Bar in Schaumburg, IL.  It is within the Woodfield Mall area, but not in the mall itself.  It is similar to Sushi Station in Rolling Meadows in that there are conveyor belts that deliver your sushi.  However, if you order a special dish, it also comes to you on another conveyor belt that is above the "community" conveyor belt and it stops right at your table!

When you are done, you put your empty plates in the plate deposit (see photo) and that's how they count up how many dishes you have taken.  Specialty servings are counted and ordered with the computer screen at each table.  Don't put empty dishes that have fish bones or other garbage in the dish receptacle though... the waitstaff will pick those up when you are finished.  If you order enough servings, you get a "free" animated video that is displayed on your monitor.  And, if you really order enough, you get a free "gift" (more like a small toy that kids get out of a gumball machine.). I think you need to finish at least 15 dishes to get that though.  At $2.50 per plate (more money if they are special order items), it adds up!

I don't eat raw fish, so I could not eat most of the items that went around the community conveyor belt, although I did have a crab sushi that was cooked.  My daughter ordered a cooked salmon cheek dish for me and that was very good (see the photo of the fish with its fin on the plate).  To me, Sushi Station is better for someone who doesn't eat raw fish since they have the typical sushis like California rolls (which do not have raw fish), and there are $1.25 plates there.  But if you do eat raw fish, you might enjoy Kura's offerings.

Overall, I have always felt that Sushi is just overpriced food.  Two small pieces of sushi costs at least $2.50.  How many do you need to eat to feel like you had enough?  Thanks to my daughter for taking me, but I think I still prefer something more substantial in quantity at a lower price.  Kura as well as Sushi Station are fun places however.  Kura might be more fun since you do have individual tables and aren't sitting at a long table with strangers next to you at an open bar area.  And, Kura has the special delivery conveyor belt as well.

All photos taken with the iPhone 6s+.

No comments:

Post a Comment